Microglia are the primary immune cells of the central nervous system (CNS), and account for 10-15% of all cells found within the brain. Microglial cells play an important role in maintaining the health of the CNS by the removal of pathogens, infectious agents and damaged cells through phagocytosis. Microglial cells have also been extensively studied for their harmful roles in a variety of neurodegenerative disease including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
Immortalized MicroGlial Cell Line or IMG is an immortalized microglial cell line derived from adult murine brain infected with the v-raf/v-myc retrovirus. IMG cells express markers that are specific to adult primary microglial cells (F4/80 and CD11b) as assessed by flow cytometry and are responsive to pro- and anti-inflammatory signals (1). They have been shown to phagocytose foreign particles and misfolded proteins such as the amyloid-beta peptide (1). IMG cells are rapidly dividing cells that are typically small and round with few or no processes when cultured in medium containing serum.
1. McCarthy RC, Lu DY, Alkhateeb A, Gardeck AM, Lee CH and Wessling-Resnick M (2016). Characterization of a novel adult murine immortalized microglial cell line and its activation by amyloid-beta. J. Neuroinflammation 13: 21
Cell Line Description
This product is sold solely for research use per the terms of the “Restricted Use Agreement” which govern its use as detailed in the product Data Sheet or Certificate of Analysis. For information regarding any other use, please contact email@example.com.
Research Sub Category
Neuroinflammation & Pain
Inflammation & Immunology
• Each vial contains ≥ 1X106 viable cells.
• Cells are tested negative for infectious diseases by a Mouse Essential CLEAR panel by Charles River Animal Diagnostic Services.
• Cells are verified to be of mouse origin and negative for inter-species contamination from rat, chinese hamster, Golden Syrian hamster, human and non-human primate (NHP) as assessed by a Contamination Clear panel by Charles River Animal Diagnostic Services.
• Cells are negative for mycoplasma contamination.
Storage and Stability
Store in liquid nitrogen. The cells can be cultured for at least 10 passages after initial thawing without significantly affecting the cell marker expression and functionality.