Product No. B2025
Brilliant Blue G-Colloidal Concentrate has been designed for post-electrophoresis staining of proteins in IEF, PAGE, and SDS-PAGE gels. Fixing the proteins prior to staining is recommended for maximum sensitivity.
Reagents and Equipment Required but Not Provided
Precautions and Disclaimer
This product is for R&D use only, not for drug, household, or other uses. Please consult the Safety Data Sheet for information regarding hazards and safe handling practices.
- After electrophoresis, fix the proteins for 30 minutes in Fixing Solution or one hour in a solution of 7% glacial acetic acid in 40% (v/v) methanol.
- Add 800 mL of deionized water to the bottle labeled Brilliant Blue G-Colloidal Concentrate. Replace the cap and tighten. Mix by inversion. This 1X working solution should not be filtered. Store at 2-8 °C once diluted.
- Immediately before staining, combine 4 parts of the 1X working solution (from step 2) and 1 part methanol. Mix well by vortexing for 30 seconds.
NOTE: If the working solution was not freshly prepared, mix by inversion prior to combining with methanol. The staining suspension containing methanol is stable for 4 hours. Add methanol only to the amount of working solution that will be used at once.
- Place the gel in staining suspension (from step 3) for 1-2 hours.
- Destain with 10% acetic acid in 25% (v/v) methanol for 60 seconds with shaking. For gels <1.5 mm thickness, reduce this destaining time to 10-30 seconds.
- Rinse the gel with 25% methanol, discard, and then destain in 25% methanol for up to 24 hours. If any precipitated dye remains on the surface of the gel, gently wipe with a clean cotton ball or a lab wipe soaked in 25% methanol.
- Scan gel at 600 nm.
- Gels may be stored for several weeks in 25% (v/v) ammonium sulfate at room temperature.