Zirconium(IV) oxide-yttria stabilized (YSZ) (nanopowder) is an oxygen ion conductor with properties such as good ionic conductivity and high physiochemical stability. Its other properties include excellent shock resistance, low thermal conductivity and a high coefficient of thermal expansion.
Yttria-stabilized zirconia (YSZ) is the most commonly used as solid electrolyte for solid oxide fuel cells (SOFCs) and in oxygen sensors. YSZ exhibits high oxygen-ionic conductivity while blocking electronic conduction. YSZ particles may be synthesized from yttrium nitrate or isopropoxide by sol gel method. YSZ nanoparticles may be prepared in supercritical water (SCW). YSZ nanoparticles of different sizes with varying % mol of yttria may be obtained by CO2 laser based continuous/pulsed laser vaporization method.
Collagen-yttria-stabilized amorphous zirconia hybrid scaffolds may be developed. YSZ thin films may be used as thermal barrier coatings on combustors, stationary and rotating components of gas turbines or diesel engines. 6
YSZ can be used for a variety of applications such as:
- a thermal barrier coating for the protection and insulation of metal components in gas turbines
- an electrolyte in the fabrication of solid oxide fuel cells (SOFCs)
- in the fabrication of zirconia dental implant abutments
- membranes for micro energy conversion devices
- a solid acid and a catalyst for catalytic applications